What would you consider a good investment?
If your health is an answer then you are on the right track. We are very focused on heart health, staying fit and trim, eating well, and exercising regularly. Do you think about the health and strength of your five senses? Many people don’t and it would be in your best interest to start, let’s look at hearing health
Did you know that 1 in 5 adults in America lives with the invisible condition of impaired hearing? The Center for Communicative Disease has stated that an average of 30 million hearing-assessed Americans over the age of 12 are living with hearing loss in both ears. However, interestingly, about 80% of hearing loss cases stand to benefit from proper diagnosis and treatment!
When was the last time you thought about your hearing? Let’s begin today!
Signs of Hearing Loss
It is quite common for those around us to notice a decline in our hearing abilities before we do. Take note of the following:
- Conversations in group settings are becoming increasingly hard to follow
- Background noises are harder to filter out
- Asking people to repeat themselves more than usual
- Feeling strained when following a conversation
- Withdrawing from your regular social engagements
Impact of Untreated Hearing Loss
Hearing loss, whether it is sudden onset or gradual, greatly diminishes the quality of our daily lives and our relationships.
- Negatively impacts our neural networks of sound established from early childhood
- Adaptation by the brain to the distortion of sound as hearing loss occurs
- Lack of the ability to filter out ambient versus conversational sounds affecting communication
- Less reception of the warning sounds we associate with danger affecting our safety e.g doorbell, honking, ringing, etc.
Tips for Maintaining Your Hearing Health
There are some standard ways to keep your hearing in check.
- Avoid loud, explosive, and or repeatedly harmful sounds like construction or fireworks
- Seat yourself in a low-traffic area when you are in a restaurant
- Be aware of your lifestyle needs such as using earbuds or keeping your TV volume on high
- Carry earplugs because you never know when you might need them!
The Center for Disease Control suggests that an exam be taken every 3 years if you are over the age of 50. The statistics show that the average American gets an exam about every 5 to 7 years. It is also, unfortunately, common for the exams to be taken only after hearing loss is apparent. A comprehensive exam and assessment is the first best step to reconnecting to the sounds of your life!
Benefits of Treating Hearing Loss
Knowledge is power and that relates to every aspect of your health. Over 80% of hearing loss cases can greatly benefit from a visit to a hearing health professional. Catching the early onset of hearing impairment gives us broad opportunities to mitigate its progression.
- Education about hearing loss can be gained via your research as well as guidance from your audiologist or hearing health professional.
- There are many resources online and a multitude of options to choose from should you need hearing devices.
- Relationships of many kinds from social to professional will benefit.
People that ignore their hearing loss tend to self-isolate if it begins to overwhelm them. It is also due to the physical strain of constantly filling in the gaps of muffled conversation or the din of background noise.
- Confidence is created by the proactive measures you take to maintain and sustain your health. Your focus is future “forward” with every initiative you take.
Start Your Hearing Loss Journey Today!
We provide comprehensive exams and assessments to determine whether a hearing loss is present. We also provide hearing aid fittings and reprogramming as needed.
As our population begins to ages, the hearing industry has become even more innovative with its technology, and the stigma of hearing loss is rapidly changing. Our team is here to provide options to fit your lifestyle and budget in accordance with a long-term hearing loss treatment plan. The goal is a fuller hearing experience for you!